Monday, March 28, 2011

it's mail time!

Recently I've really been enjoying receiving and writing letters. Emails and texts take away the personal touch of a hand written letter that traveled thousands of miles and passed through many hands. So for the first time today I adventured out during my break with a few Lempira to send a letter off in the mail. I had learned earlier that the post office lies in the center of town. Surrounding the park at the heart of Guaimaca is the Mayor's Office, Office of Education, the Catholic Church, two banks, a fast food restaurant, and an ice cream shop. (what more could a town need?) So I wandered into a store to ask if someone could direct me to the post office. Luckily, it was the next door down. So I peeked in and entered into a room smaller than my bathroom. There was a woman behind a desk equipped with just a few stamps and a scale. She wasn’t dressed in a uniform, rather a typical shirt and jeans. Like pretty much any Honduran, she was preoccupied with her cell phone when I walked in. To her side were a few bare shelves meant to store incoming letters. When she saw my return address with my name, she let me know that a letter had just arrived for me and that the Sisters picked it up this morning. Small world. It's moments like these that I remember that I'm in Honduras and can't do anything but chuckle to myself. So after our exchange and forking over 36L, my letter was sent off. Until next time, friendly post office lady.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Was it to me? :-)

Sent one to you today!