Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Can we borrow your dog?"

Today we came home from work just like usual, put the bikes on the side of the house and I grabbed Ranger’s bowl to feed him dinner. Two boys came to the fence and asked to speak with us for a second. I was prepared with the usual, “No, we can’t play because we have work to do. This weekend we’ll have more time to play.”

I almost wish that they were asking us to play like usual. Instead they were wondering if they could borrow our dog. I wasn’t sure if I simply misunderstood, but after clarification, I realized that they were explaining that their female dog was in heat. They wanted puppies, and for our dog to father them.

What?!

So instead of sending the two kids back, I wanted to clarify with the grandmother who sent them over. She explained to us (multiple times and with some wonderful new vocab) that they could bring their dog to our house or we could bring our dog there. They just wanted to borrow him for a little bit, she said.
Thankfully Matt came with me because I didn’t know how to say no. He explained that it was the Sister’s dog and that we should check with them before we lend him to anyone. So even after giving a few more excuses, they insisted that we see the dog. She made sure that we realized that they would be a good match for each other and that we would talk tomorrow.

I’m interested to see what the sisters have to say about all this! Who knows if this is culturally acceptable or if it’s just a crazy abuela aching for some pups..

2 comments:

Mom said...

How funny! Can't wait to hear what the sisters said!

grammie said...

Hmm this should be intersting. Wonder what they are really thinking.